I am working on starting a nonprofit called ” Anita’s Wish”. We will help people get education about home ownership, provide down payment assistance and mortgage pay-down to those in need.
The name is inspired by mother Anita who was tragically killed here in Richmond, Virginia close to a Christmas holiday. It was a big shock to our family, especially since the police never took her death or the investigation of it seriously. The violent crime in the city really needs to change.
Her sudden death made me realize that I needed to look after my sister Michelle who is developmentally challenged. She is one of the many Americans without housing stability placing her at risk of being for anxiety and even becoming homeless. Ever wonder why people become homeless? Part of the reasons are stories like the one above. With myself and my close friends she would have lost her apartment. Unfortunately it bankrupted me in my 20's. There needs to be more support out there.
Everyone deserves a great chance at life and being able to own, maintain and enjoy a home is a solid foundation for a great life. I realized that I needed to find a way for my sister to own and maintain a home and also help others to do the same. Wouldn't it be amazing to have our efforts help many?
What do we need help with? Big or small, short or long-term:
- Tech pro: Help creating our website. We have Wordpress themes that can be edited.
- Financial help filing for the paperwork. I got Rocketlawyer to waive their fees and only charge the state fees of $77 and the IRS charges $600 to become a 501c which usually allows for donors to get tax deductions.
- Help with fundraising once we become a 501c.
- Wordsmith: helping make our vision and history easily understood and engaging.
- Video pros: Videos are so helpful to build the right donor base
- Social Media Manager: a few hours on Facebook, Twitter, etc. with a great consistent basis
- Crowdfunding Manager: Have a large following? Network?
- Do you have real estate that you can finance or donate?
- Anything to barter? We started with a paperclip and are currently up to a Gucci purse. We are trading up to real estate.
Other: let us know how you can help. Our goal is for your effort to have a ripple effect on many.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers