Brandylane Publishers, Inc. is a small, independent press that has published books since 1985. Brandylane publishes non-fiction, fiction, poetry, and children's books under our imprints, and provides writing, editing, book packaging and consulting services to individuals, businesses, foundations, museums and other publishers. Our titles are distributed through specialized as well as traditional channels, including dot com, independent, chain booksellers and non-trade markets.
QR Code Link to This Post
Hours: 12-15 hours weekly minimum for 6 months. Flexible M-Th schedule.
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship.
Qualifications: Impeccable writing/communication skills, working knowledge of Microsoft Office, social media, Internet, and reasonable familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style. You must be an independent learner, curious, detail oriented, highly responsive, and dependable. Laptop and dependable transportation are required.
Location: 5 S. 1st Street, Richmond (off Main Street near the public library and the Jefferson Hotel, downtown)
Here are some of the duties our interns perform. Assignments are determined by skill level.
• Read and write evaluations of book manuscripts
• Research, conduct interviews, write and fact-check feature stories, author profiles, and book reviews
• Proofread various content (determined by skill level)
• Develop working knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style
• Generate ideas and content for book and website promotion
• Write press releases and other promotional pieces
• Promote and coordinate author events via social media and other means
• Assist with email list development and email marketing
• Research potential traditional and non-traditional/non-trade markets for our titles
• Research and pursue media outlets for promotion
• Develop social media, reviewers, and blogger audiences
• Contact booksellers and media about new titles
• Enter data and proofread databases
• Package and mail review copies and other material
• Type documents
• Answer telephone; fulfill book orders
HOW TO APPLY
Write a cover letter that outlines your background and career goals and describes your interest in working as an intern for a publishing firm. The most promising candidates have an interest in the business of publishing, not only a love of books, magazines and/or writing. You should also submit a resume and 4-5-page writing sample of your best work. Send to show contact info
We will contact you if you are selected for an interview.